Looking for a good book to read?

Looking for a good book to read? You found the right place! I love Young Adult Literature and love recommending interesting titles to my students even more. This blog will recommend titles of YA Literature that I have recently read and want others to discover as well. Enjoy! Under each post is the "Comment" option. Feel free to share your opinions about each of the books so that other students can read your opinions as well.


You might have noticed the recent makeover each of the posts got. I rearranged the posts so that the summaries are hidden. If you are curious about a book and want to know more about it, click on "Read more >>", the summaries are hidden there for more information. Have fun!

Monday, June 20, 2011

Snitch

Title: Snitch
Author: Allison van Diepen
Genre: Contemporary Realistic Fiction
You will like this book if:
  • You are interested in reading about gangs and gang members.
  • You like urban romance stories.
  • You prefer books that take place in modern times.
  • You like some gritty content in the books you read.
You will not like this book if:
  • You are easily offended by language and content.
  • You become annoyed by weak, easily influenced female characters.
  • You like stories with a hint of fantasy to them.
  • You don't like to think about unpleasant circumstances.
Fun Fact #1Right away I have to say that I don't like this kind of book.  I felt like Julia, the main character, was weak and doesn't give credit to the self-confidence that many girls have.  However, I was drawn to this book (as I think many of my students will be) because of the gritty nature of the gang world.  Also, I like to believe that my girls would be able to look at a character like Julia and see the errors in her way.  Right, ladies?

Summary: This same story has been told in a hundred different ways.  Girl has firm opinions and morals, meets an adorable boy, and gives up everything she has and believes to be with him.  Without trying to be too mean to the book, I have to give credit to the few things that make this book different from other similar stories.  Snitch takes place in a tough school full of gangs.  Julia and her friends have always been lucky enough to stay out of the mix until Julia meets Eric.  She trusts him too easily and, while trying to do the right thing, ends up in very dangerous trouble.  There is mature content in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment